From Underground Utilities to Site Work, We’ve Done It All!
Meko Construction Inc. began as a one person, Northwest-owned and operated minority company, constructing driveways and installing septic systems. From that humble beginning in 1993, we have become a multi-state operation, performing heavy highway construction, earthwork, wall building and utility installation. After the downturn in 2008, Meko began to specialize in Concrete Pumping. Meko has worked on projects of varying sizes and types, from underground utilities and overpass construction to site work on United States Naval Bases. Our scope of experience ensures we can serve a broad range of clientele, including private industry and variety of local, state and federal government agencies. We have and continue to contribute to the expansion of light rail in Oregon and Washington through projects for Tri-Met and Sound Transit. We earned our reputation by responding to our customers’ needs and maintaining a strong work ethic, while staying abreast of the very latest construction technologies and methods. We are committed to a safe and productive worksite and believe attention to safety ensures a quality job for our customers. Our motto is “There’s no problem, only solutions”.
Code of Conduct
MEKO’s Core Values represent who we are and provide, without question, the standard of behavior by which we conduct business. These values are the heart, soul, and character of Meko. Our Code embodies the vision of our company’s founder and encompasses the values that have been and will continue to be vital to the future success of the Company. Our Core Values represent how we treat each other, how we deal with our customers, and how we hold each other and ourselves accountable. This is the legacy we will leave for generations to come. The following eight ethical Core Values represent the cornerstone of our Code of Conduct. While achieving these high standards may be difficult to attain, we nonetheless aspire to live our lives and conduct our business with:
- Be truthful, accurate and straightforward.
- Be candid and non-deceptive in communication and conduct.
- Maintain consistency between your beliefs and your behavior – walk your talk!
- Have the courage to contend boldly for that which is right and reject firmly that which is wrong.
- Endeavor to be reasonable, open-minded, impartial, even-handed, and non-discriminatory in all your dealings.
- Genuinely partner and actively collaborate within and outside the Company.
- Maintain, without deviation, an attitude of sincerity, tolerance, consideration, and assistance towards others, regardless of position.
- Accept responsibility for your own actions or inactions and for those whom you supervise.
- Take prompt, constructive steps to correct mistakes or defects.
- Promote teamwork by holding each other accountable – rejecting behaviors inconsistent with this Code of Conduct.
Consideration of Others
- Practice the principles of the Golden Rule.
- Respect the dignity, rights, safety, and personal property of others.
- Be open to the ideas and opinions of others.
- Exercise patience and remain positive under all circumstances.
- Assure that those whom you supervise are not put in compromising situations.
Pursuit of Excellence
- Consistently apply diligence, perseverance, attention to detail, and good work habits to ensure quality projects, products and excellent customer service.
- Build capabilities through continuous learning, coaching, mentoring and teaching.
- Never accept complacency or indifference.
- Remain flexible and open to possibilities.
- Only make realistic commitments and follow-through on the commitments you make.
- Be prompt and responsive in business dealings within and outside the company.
- Comply with all governmental laws, rules and regulations.
- Show consideration for the safety and welfare of everyone, including our natural environment.
- Respond to the impact our work has on the natural environment by consistently evaluating and improving our efforts so that our projects and processes work in harmony with the environment.
- Cultivate an organization that actively encourages us to be the best of who we are and continuously strives to make a difference in our communities and the world.
Our strong written Accident Prevention Program and management leadership do make a difference!At Meko, we believe that the prevention of accidents is both our moral obligation and good business. Our safety efforts are based on our belief that every working person is entitled to a safe and healthful place to work. The responsibility for the health and safety of our employees goes far beyond simple compliance with the federal and state regulatory requirements. We recognize that the protection of our employees, property, the public and the environment are essential to the efficient and successful completion of every construction project we undertake. Safety is more than a priority at MEKO, here safety is a value.Meko has established Accident Prevention Program that includes formal safety training, inspections, audits and a formalized system of reporting. We recognize that accident prevention is a line management responsibility. That responsibility is shared at every level of our organization, from the President all the way through to our craft work force. We train our Managers, supervisors and employees to identify and correct unsafe conditions and more importantly unsafe work practices.We know that our accident prevention efforts must have the same value as quality, morale, cost, schedule, and production. Safety is not something we do in addition to the work. It’s how we do the work.At Meko, we recognize that accidents should be unusual events and that most of them are preventable. Our goal continues to be ZERO ACCIDENTS.
Our vision is to be an environmental leader in our industry and the communities in which we work. We believe that through environmental and social leadership, we will deliver long-term value for all of our stakeholders, now and in the future. This process is a journey and not an end. We are committed to continually improving the management of our environmental responsibilities and reaching out to our communities and other stakeholders. Our employees are critical to our efforts. It is through their leadership and approach to our work that we can meet our commitments and fulfill our company vision. As one of the North West’s construction firms we are doing are part in keeping the environment green.
Our work forward is to partake in the building of renewable energy markets, which includes wind power, concentrated solar power, hydroelectricity, geothermal energy and alternative fuel sources.
Improving Water Quality
We help build water and wastewater treatment plants. Helping conserve our most important natural resource is a job we’re proud to do.
We have significant participation in the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) program and ongoing training for employees.
Meko has helped complete light rail and commuter rail projects across the North West, helping to reduce traffic and carbon emissions. We are committed to:
- Meeting or exceeding the requirements of applicable environmental laws, regulations and local rules.
- Conserving natural resources and energy through the wise use of resources, innovative approaches to our work, new technology, utilization of recycled materials and land stewardship.
- Conducting our business activities in a manner that minimizes environmental impacts and incorporates best practices of pollution prevention and waste minimization.
- Maintaining internal capabilities and management systems to meet our environmental commitments including company objectives.
- Continually improving the way in which we manage our environmental responsibilities.
- Maintaining stakeholder engagement processes, particularly with the communities we are a part of.
These commitments reflect our corporate Core Values and Code of Conduct and support Our Environmental Vision and Strategy.